Friday, August 15, 2008

Living in a democracy.

What are my responsibilities as I attain adult age of living in a democracy?

I believe that my responsibilities depend upon my values and standards. I value freedoms so I should uphold the right for everyone to have those same freedoms. Living in a democracy the responsibilities that I hold rely solely upon how content I am with going along with a flow. I don’t believe that my responsibility comes in the form of a vote, it comes in the form of understanding what I believe in order to vote, if possible, for those who uphold my beliefs. My responsibilities are to be clear with what I currently believe when asked, to ask questions of my self and others, to educate myself with the truth.
“ Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.” (Declaration of Independence, 2nd paragraph).

It is my responsibility to be aware and act in light of those few sentences. I have a responsibility to become comfortable with myself, but not necessarily with my surroundings. I hold myself accountable for those responsibilities because I am the only one that I can control.

No comments:

Post a Comment