Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The globe is sphericalish

Rachel Milner
The world is spherical (in as close to relation you can come, disregarding small irregularities such as that the globe is kind of squatty).


What assumptions do I rely upon when I agree with the concept of a spherical earth, and where are my flaws in said assumptions?


Proposition One:

+ If I were to take a reliable mode of travel, such as a ship or plane, and follow in any one direction a compass, I would make a full rotation around the earth, finding myself where I began; therefor, the world is spherical.

1. Assumption One
My senses and efforts to discern the truth of the matter are not thwarted by any outside influences, dependent perhaps upon the assumption that I exist as an independent thinking and experiencing entity at all. That I am able to accurately judge my direction in relation to the earth, where I’ve come from, and where I’m headed.

2.Assumption Two
A compass is constant in the direction that it points towards without significant enough miscalculation to divert me from the circumvention of the globe.

3. Assumption Three-
Once I have circumvented the globe that it is safe to say that it is a sphere and not merely a circle.


Proposition Two:
+The world is spherical because when you go high enough from the surface of it you can see curvature beyond where if it were a circle you would have seen the end.

1. Assumption- the world is not a dome.

Proposition Three:
+Because there is graduating day and night on both “sides” of the globe it is not flat.

1. Assumption One-
The world is rotating very quickly, too quickly to discount the idea that the earth rotates slowly enough to create graduated night and day

2. Assumption two-
That if the earth were to rotate as significantly slower the temperature would be drastically hotter.

No comments:

Post a Comment